EDUCAUSE policy staff and advisors watch for any public policy developments that might have major implications for the role of IT in higher education, often in cooperation with other associations and organizations.
COVID-19 Policy Issues
Federal policy relevant to EDUCAUSE members has taken on a whole new light as the government and higher education institutions both respond to the COVID-19 pandemic. Use these resources gathered by the EDUCAUSE Policy Team to stay informed. See the Policy Spotlight blog for current developments.
Federal Reserve announcement and overview of nonprofit organization access to the Main Street Lending Program, June 15, 2020.
"CARES Act Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) Timeline," National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (NASFAA), June 11, 2020 (Highlights key developments in U.S. Department of Education guidance)
"CARES Act Institutional Relief Funds and IT Expenses," EDUCAUSE Review—Policy Spotlight, June 10, 2020 (Reviews major elements of U.S. Department of Education guidance across primary program documents)
U.S. Department of Education, CARES ACT: Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (Guidance on applying for and administering emergency grants for students and institutional aid)
"Comments on the Main Street Lending Program and Request for Meeting," American Council on Education, et al, April 16, 2020.
"Higher Education Community Requests $46.6 Billion for Students and Institutions in Fourth Supplemental Package, Proposes Tax Changes," American Council on Education, April 10, 2020. (Discusses the higher education proposal for the fourth emergency spending bill)
"Higher Ed IT Funding Request for Federal Emergency Relief Bill," EDUCAUSE Review—Policy Spotlight, April 10, 2020. (Discusses the third emergency spending bill, the CARES Act)
"EDUCAUSE and Higher Education Respond to COVID-19," EDUCAUSE Review—Policy Spotlight, March 24, 2020. (Discusses EDUCAUSE participation in the development of the third emergency spending bill)
Broadband Access and Infrastructure
"EDUCAUSE Supports Bill to Provide Broadband Access for Unserved and Underserved College Students," EDUCAUSE Review—Policy Spotlight, June 12, 2020.
"OPINION: College in a pandemic is tough enough — without reliable broadband access, it's nearly impossible," Ted Mitchell and Jamienne Studley, The Hechinger Report, June 9, 2020.
"EDUCAUSE Comments: Broadband Access and Infrastructure," EDUCAUSE Policy Team, June 5, 2020. (EDUCAUSE Library abstract with public comments submitted to Congress)
"Department of Education OCR Guidance for K-12 Provides Clues on Web Accessibility Compliance for Higher Ed," EDUCAUSE Review—Policy Spotlight, March 30, 2020.
"Fact Sheet: Addressing the Risk of COVID-19 in Schools While Protecting the Civil Rights of Students," Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, March 16, 2020.
"Online Education and Web Accessibility" (video), Office of Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, March 17, 2020.
Useful Sites and Resources
American Council on Education (ACE) COVID-19 Resources and Information (general higher education policy developments and association community responses)
National Association of College and University Business Officers (NACUBO) Coronavirus Policy Issues
National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (NASFAA) COVID-19 Web Center (federal student aid policy issues)
American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO) COVID-19 Crisis Practices
U.S. Department of Education COVID-19 Information (see "Additional Resources for Higher Education Institutions")
WICHE Cooperative for Educational Technologies (WCET) COVID-19 Updates and Resources (policy issues regarding distance learning program development and delivery)
Our Work on Other Key Issues
Information Security and Data Privacy
- FSA Notice on Handling Safeguards Rule Audit Findings
- Higher Ed Community Responds to Proposed Safeguards Rule Change
- EDUCAUSE Joins Response to Draft CUI Guidelines
- The Safeguards Rule Audit Objective Is Here!
- FTC Announces Proposed Changes to the Safeguards Rule (provides the Policy Team's summary analysis of the scope and potential impact of the FTC's proposals)
- EDUCAUSE Supports Bill to Provide Broadband Access for Unserved and Underserved College Students
- EDUCAUSE Comments: Broadband Access and Infrastructure
- EDUCAUSE Joins Net Neutrality Amicus Brief
- FCC Says Good-Bye to Net Neutrality (includes link to final higher education/libraries coalition letter to the FCC highlighting the faulty reasoning in the FCC's repeal order)
- Bipartisan AIM HIGH Legislation Introduced in the Senate
- Accessible Instructional Materials Legislation Reintroduced in the House of Representatives
- House Education and Labor Committee Passes HEA Reauthorization Bill
- Digital Accessibility Law and Regulation: Current Status and What to Do About It
- The Department of Education's Office of Civil Rights Reverses Course on Mass-Filer Civil Rights Complaints